Friday, August 26, 2011

The Power of a Spirit

It’s hard to believe this will be my 4th Mother’s Day without my mother. As I take time, to reflect on the power of her spirit I have come to several conclusions:

  1. Although I know longer remember her voice, I hear her thundering spirit in my ears singing: I am proud of the woman you have become and keep pushing forward.
  2. Although I know longer can sit down with her at Red Lobster, something we did on most Mother’s Day: I still say: “That’s Mom’s Place” when I pass a Red Lobster.
  3. Although my mother will never see Matt and I live a beautiful life together: I know that her final words to him resonate in his heart.
  4. Although I will not be reunited with my mother for at least another 50-60 years: I know that she and my father will be the ones to lead me to the other side.
  5. Although I know that there will be many life challenges in my future: I cherish the fact that I was able to witness 34 years of my mother’s life and in doing so I learned that we cannot allow challenges to rob our joy and they are necessary for growth.
  6. Although I cannot see my mother now: I am reminded of her every time I look in the mirror.
  7. Lastly, for those who have not become permanent member of the “Motherless Daughters” club: please cherish your mothers every day of your life, as well as your fathers. Give them their tears, smiles, and flowers today. Too many fail to do so, and as a result are left with a lifetime of regrets. For me, I have none. My mother and I had full life together, even though she died at the tender age of 57. She packed 70 years of advice into 34 and made sure that I would be prepared for life’s joys and challenges. Thank you Mom for being you, and I know that now that both your body and mind are healed you are living it up in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment