Tuesday, October 31, 2017

10 Weeks of Reflection of My Mother's Death (10 Year Anniversary). Week 9-DNR



Today and the next three days were truly the worst days of my life. It is the time that I finally accepted that death would be coming for my mother and it did on November 3. Prior to that day, I would visit with her two last times: One I regret and the other my father and I had to make that decision that honored her wishes.

The regret comes in the words I spoke to my mother on October 31 (I told her that if she would not eat, she was going to die) and the other was placing a DNR or Do Not Resuscitate order on my mother’s life on November 2 after a massive heart attack. This decision was made quickly after realizing that she was well on her way to heaven and the machines were only allowing her to remain for a little while so we could say goodbye. I gave her my goodbye on November 2nd, when I whispered into her ear that is was ok to let go. Apparently, my mother thought I would completely be a hot mess after her death. That mess did comes in waves and lead to me developing anxiety and panic attacks but it also was uplifted in how how I carried myself as we prepared for memorial service.

The lessons learned the last four years of my mother’s life will last a lifetime. One lesson that I learned is that you must accept death and all that comes before it happens. Although miracles happen, saving someone from death, this is not the case for body and mind that has endure tremendous pain and struggle. My mother was tired in the end. Her last 30 years of life were spent in pain.

I firmly believe that she hung in there for those 30 days to allow us to accept that death was coming. I am thankful that she did. It allowed me to be able to write my eulogy for her and tribute for my Dad.

Another lesson I learned is that many will disappoint you when your love ones die. I am still working on the forgiveness part for this but hopefully well before the 20th anniversary I will forgive those who disappointed me.

The last lesson is that grief is a lonely place. Even as I put on the fake smiles this week, only one human being recognized how this might be a difficult week for me. I will though spend the next three days with a few distractions, a prayer for two of my students who going through very difficulty things, and reflections.

1 comment:

  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete