Monday, September 18, 2017

10 Weeks of Reflection of My Mother's Death (10 Year Anniversary). Week 3 Legacies



Ten years out I often wonder what my mother wanted her legacy to be. Most would say, her children were her legacy but I know in my heart my mother was much more than what her children accomplished during their lives. As a women who battled many diseases her legacy was most certainly her ability to move past the limitations illness brought her. She managed to raise to well-adjusted adults despite having many times when she had to parent from afar due to illness. I suspect that many who knew my mother were impacted by her strength and story as well. For those who never met her, you only have to read a few posts on my blog dedicated to her to know how strong she was.

I cannot imagine what it would feel like to be a human being with so much potential to only have it robbed from you because you to fight many illnesses, both mental and physical. Her battles with bi-polar disorder were enough to make a person quit, yet she continued to fight only to later have renal failure, diabetes, and high blood pressure wreak havoc with her body.

So as I reflect on her legacy, I am reminded on two things her life taught me: Find joy among the storms and definitely as the Beyonce's song, I Was Here says: "Left this world a little better just because, I was here."

So to honor my mother's legacy I will do the following always: read often (she loved to read and passed this on to me), work to maintain my health, spread joy, and serve others.

No comments:

Post a Comment