Thursday, November 11, 2021

A Year Without You! A Daughter's Journey After Losing Her "Superman"

 It is really hard to believe that next Friday, November 19th, will mark one year since my father's passing. It is amazing how different grief can be the second time around, especial when you officially become an "adult orphan". 

This week a year ago, we were finally able to visit my Dad consistently while he was in hospice. It was a week, despite the visit to the nursing home, it was business as usual. My brother was still working (probably 9-10 hour days) and I teaching a full load, still attending meetings and trying to deal with the fact that within a week my Dad would be dead. 

His death taught me a lot about how much his approach to "difficult life events" that I had adopted. This same week, business as usual, I began my Canvas Certified Instructor certificate" which I would continue through this past. My Dad was one that never really had the luxury of grieving like "normal folks". Through the almost three and half decades my parents were together he had to grieve often but still do "business as usual" through the many hospitalizations my mother had, dealing with her mental illness, and her death. 

So, when the time came for us to deal with his death, it was "business as usual". 

What I have learned about grieving, there is no timetable because it is forever. Grief although we think it can break you, it actually makes you a lot stronger. My grief was right on time because it ran alongside a worldwide pandemic and reminded me that I should be grateful for every breath I was blessed with. 

There was one thing that was born out of his death: I no longer tolerate the behaviors, events, and actions the break spirits. Through my Dad's death, I was found the courage to do those things that I didn't think I would do beyond getting my Ph.D. 

I am thankful for 47 years I was blessed to have my Dad. I am thankful for the 11 years he had Parkinson's disease and I know that our visits together during that time, not only blessed him but those that lived with him in the nursing home. 

I am also thankful that my Dad was "Superman" in the flesh. A human that always fought for the underdogs of the world and was willing to help those in need. 

Well, Superman, I hope you like the StorpCorp piece for a Yours Truly campaign around Parkinson's next week. 

Until we meet again in 2073, keep being my Superman in the Sky, and thank you for those two weeks for us to accept your transition into peace. 

 

Sunrise 2-6-1949/Sunset 11-19-21

1 comment:

  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete